Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Two days has felt like two weeks...

...In a good way! 

I had never visited UNH's campus until I arrived about 48 hours ago, on the afternoon before my 4-week intensive summer program began. I say intensive because my classmates and I (all 15 of us!) convene at 9 a.m. every day and part ways at 5 p.m. (And the work doesn't really end there...) The interim is jam-packed with discussions about our personal environmental and educational goals, preparation for hands-on teaching opportunities and project formation, and of course, authentic outdoor excursions. For anybody truly natural-minded, a program like this one provides you with one of those rare "ah-ha!" moments; the feelings I got once I met my instructors, peers, and learned of the course work, were intense; like I knew I belonged. While I covet the four years I spent as an undergraduate at Rutgers University in New Jersey studying Journalism and Environmental Policy, there was something entirely different and more satisfying about knowing for sure that the graduate degree I am pursuing is directly leading me towards a career I could love for life - one where I will never be stuck indoors.

Yesterday I spent hours getting to know my classmates and some important nuances of the UNH campus. The previous day, when I arrived, my excitement was strong, yet was overpowered by anxiety that it would be a lonely, laborious month. Would I make any new friends, or just acquaintances? How would I spend my extra time and weekends, and who would I spend them with? So far I have been happy and hopeful of the people I have met; men and women who seem to have mastered how to be grounded yet fun-loving at the same time. Now, I am looking forward to seeing how my relationship with others develop, while exploring my potential as an educator.

More to come soon!
 

No comments: